Are you planning some Beach Vacations with kids or just heading to your local beach? A day at the beach can be so much fun or a total nightmare. Kids can love it or just make you nuts. To help make your beach day fun and memorable, check out my 20 Easy Beach Hacks. Read through the list and find some Beach Hacks that will help you survive your next family vacation and have a great time.
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
20 Beach Hacks to Survive a Family Beach Day
Hacks for Your Beach Day
1.Pack The Night Before – To make your beach day less crazy before you go, start packing up what you’ll need the night before. This way it’s one less thing to do when you’re trying to get your kids dressed and fed in the morning.
2. Get to the beach earlier in the day – The beach will be less crowded so you’ll get a better spot plus the kids are less crabby when they’re not as tired.
3. Stake out your spot – Now that you have arrived earlier in the day, you can stake out your spot on the beach with blankets, towels, and chairs. This way, when it does get crowded, you’ll still have some space for the kids to dig and play. Decide if you would rather be near the water so you can see the kids easily swimming or further away so they can’t run into the water too quickly.
4. Bring a Blow up Toddler Pool – For toddlers and babies, bring a small blow up pool or use a blow up boat as a small pool. Fill the pool up with the lake/ocean water and place under an umbrella for shade. This lets smaller children splash in the water and you won’t have to worry about them being in the ocean waves.
5. Keep Cool – Use a spray bottle to mist your kids and keep them cool. This is great for when they are so busy playing in the sand and not interested in running in the water or when the water is too cold. We love using one that has a fan on it. This O2Cool spray bottle worked great for us.
6. Cell Phone Protection – If you plan to bring your phone to the beach, make sure to put it in a case to protect it from sand and water. You can use a simple zip lock bag or we love the Moko waterproof cellphone case. You can hang it around your neck and bring it in the water with you to take pictures of the kids. It allows you to still use your phone’s touch features and takes clear pictures. We take it on every vacation and even use it when going to our local pool. It’s shown in the above picture.
7. Wear flip flops – Make sure to wear flip flops that can get wet so you can easily wash off the sand at the showers on the way out of the beach.
8. Bring a change of clothes – If you want to wash off in the showers at the beach and head out to restaurants or shops after your beach day, don’t forget to pack some extra clothes.
9. Bag for Wet Bathing Suits – Bring along an extra bag to throw your wet bathing suits in. This can be just a grocery store bag or clean trash bag from your hotel room.
What to pack for a Day at The Beach
10. Beach Blanket Hacks – There are so many different beach blankets you can find. We like to find a beach blanket that folds up into a bag so you can easily transport it and that dries quickly. This one below is great because it has pockets for your stuff and has stakes to hold the blanket down on windy days
Fitted Sheet Hack – Use a fitted sheet as your blanket. You can place your cooler and bags to hold the sides up inside the fitted sheet. The sheet will go up higher and help keep the sand out. Which is pretty cool plus cheap.
11. Beach Bag – For the beach, you need a big beach bag for your towels but also one that has pockets to hold smaller things like your keys. Bonus is finding one that will also brush off the sand. I love this beach bag because it folds up easily to pack in a suitcase and has tons of pockets.
12. Sand Toys – Save money when traveling by picking up some beach toys at the local dollar store or grocery store when you get there. However, if you have room in your suitcase or are traveling by car, consider bringing the toys with you. Check out my Dollar Store Hacks to find great beach items.
Beach Hack – Put the toys in a mesh bag so that all the sand falls out. I often pick up a mesh laundry bag from the dollar store and throw all the beach toys in there. It’s a cheap and convenient way to hold all your beach toys.
13. Hide Your Money – When you’re ready to head to the water, do you get nervous about leaving your purse or wallet on your beach blanket? Nothing ruins a beach day like having your money stolen.
Beach Hack – Hide your money in an empty can of Pringles or a Chapstick holder. Thieves will think it’s just food and ignore it.
14. Bring a bag to throw out all your trash. If you plan to picnic or even just bring snacks, its nice to have a small plastic bag to throw out all your trash.
15. Beach Clothes – If you plan to be in the sun all day, it’s a good idea to wear a protective swim shirt or rash guards and a hat with SPF. This will help keep the sun and harmful rays off your skin. Our whole family wears rash guards to the beach and it has been a huge help in reducing sun burns.
16. Sun Tent and Umbrella – Keep your kids out of the sun and cool on your beach vacation with an umbrella or beach tent. Our favorite beach tent pops up and is set up in minutes, which is great when you’re keeping an eye on excited kids at the beach.
If you want an umbrella, I suggest you use one that you can screw into the sand to make sure it doesn’t fly away in the wind. We like a fold out handle to help you twist down the sand anchor on the snail beach umbrella. It makes the umbrella much more stable and easy to install.
17. Life Vests – If you have younger kids, I like to bring a swim vest for safety. It helps them stay afloat and makes it easier for you to swim with the kids. I like that the one below has a handle at the top so you can easily grab your kid out of the water if they are struggling to swim.
18. Bring Baby Wipes – Use baby wipes to get sand off your hands before you have a picnic lunch or snack.
19. Cooler – Get a cooler that you can also use as a table. Try to find one on wheels that you can pull over the sand and has indentations for drink holders.
20. Beach Cart – It’s hard to carry all your beach supplies and your kids to the beach. Even if the kids can walk, they are not a big help in carrying your stuff. I suggest getting a beach cart if you are going to regularly go to the beach. Make sure you pick one with big wheels that can easily be pulled over the sand and look for one that can hold your beach umbrella, too.
Beach Wagon – Another great option is a beach wagon that you can throw all your stuff in. We found a great one that folds so it’s easy to pack up in your car. Plus it has good wheels to pull through sand. I noticed it had a bad review on Amazon but worked great for us and we filled it up. Quest Beach Wagon
Did you find a great beach hack for your next beach vacation? I hope these tips will help you have a great beach day with your kids! If you have any questions or your own beach hacks, please share in the comments. I love to hear from my readers.
Need Some Great Beach Vacation Ideas?
We love taking a Florida beach vacation with the kids. One of our favorite areas to visit is Southwest Florida. They have beautiful beaches and tons of fun activities for the whole family. Learn more about our favorite beach Vacations in Naples Florida, and Marco Island Florida. We are also a huge fans of the beaches in Wilmington North Carolina.
Travel Hacks to Keep Kids Busy on Family Vacation
I find keeping kids busy on family vacation is the difference between us all going crazy and having a great trip. I have found some fun and cheap travel activities and gadgets from the Dollar Store your kids will love. If you don’t have time to shop before vacation, check out these great Amazon Travel Gadgets. We love the travel tray for the kids to play on in the car and kick mats to hold the kids iPads and games on a road trip.
Did you enjoy reading these tips? Join the Happy Mom Hacks community where we find ways to make a mom’s life easier by getting our weekly newsletter. Bonus for signing up you get a free Ultimate Family Travel Packing List to be ready for your next vacation.
Don’t forget to Pin this for Later
More Great Family Vacation Destinations
- Epic National Parks to Visit Before Your Kids Turn 18
- Shenandoah Valley Virginia – Best Things to Do with Kids
- Luray Cavern Virginia – An Amazing Cave You Have to See
- 10 Best Weekend Getaways in the Midwest for Families
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park – Top Things to Do with Kids
- Best Guide to Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Ohio
- 10 Fun Free Things to Do in Naples Florida with Kids
- Top 10 Things to Do in Door County Wisconsin for Families
- Ultimate Guide to Chicago Attractions with Kids