Looking for a fun outdoor activity for kids? Get them outside doing something creative with Shadow Art for kids. They’ll love these fun sidewalk chalk drawing ideas and paper shadow art with their favorite toys. Shadow art makes it easy for kids to trace their toys and make them come alive on paper or with chalk on your sidewalk.
Find out how easy it is to create this fun art project for kids.
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
Fun Sidewalk Chalk Drawing Ideas & Shadow Art for Kids
Sidewalk Chalk Drawing Ideas
Kids can use anything you have at home to make sidewalk chalk drawings. All you need is a box of chalk and a little creativity.
My kids like to trace their shadows doing activities they enjoy such as playing hockey or riding a bike.
Next, bring out some toys and have the kids trace them and color the shadows in. We made dinosaurs on our driveway.
You can also make it a game. Give them a category and ask them to draw something like a rainbow, a forest, bugs, flowers, or even a picture of themselves.
Shadow Art can be done on a picnic table or driveway. For the art project, place a piece of paper down so the shadow will cast across the paper. Then let the kids trace the toy they want to draw. After they are done tracing, they can color in the picture.
This works best earlier in the day and later in the day when the sun is in a good position to make shadows.
Tip: If it’s breezy, tape down the paper so it won’t move with masking tape.
Let kids find their favorite toy and trace it. Here are a dinosaur and stormtrooper we drew.
Another fun thing to do is to make a scene with a group of toys that are similar. We did a dinosaur scene, Disney characters, and figures from the movie Sing.
Related Article – Easy Coffee Filter Butterflies Kids Craft
Do your kids have a favorite Lego creation? Trace that too!
Kids can even trace that trophy they are so proud of receiving.
Shadow art is a really fun kids activity they will want to do over and over again. Use these sidewalk chalk drawing ideas to get started and then let the kids come up with their own creative ideas. It’s a fun way to spend time outdoors doing mess-free art projects.
Is there something fun your kids like to draw? Let us know in the comments. We love hearing from our readers.
Chalk Games for Kids
Extend your playtime outside with fun chalk games for kids. Turn your sidewalk or driveway into a big game board, scavenger hunt, or obstacle course. Younger kids will love a color search and hopscotch.
More Ideas of Things to Do with Kids
- Easy Coffee Filter Butterflies Kids Crafts – Simple craft for kids to do at home and be creative.
- 20 Fun & Easy Minute to Win It Games for Kids – Quick games the kids will love to play.
- Fun Outdoor Activities for Kids with Water Toys – Best water toys to keep your kid cool this summer.
- 31 Days of Boredom Busting Indoor Games for Kids – Free Printable Activity Calendar
- How to Make a Volcano at Home in 3 Easy Steps – Kids will be in awe watching a volcano explode in their own house.
- 5 Great Rainy Day Activities for Kids – Fun ways to keep the kids busy on rainy and snowy days at home.
- Scavenger Hunts for Kids – Free printable scavenger hunts for your local neighborhood, nature preserve, and Teen hunts
- Guide to the Best Kids Birthday Parties – Best party themes, savings, and party games for kid’s birthday parties.
If you enjoyed these kid’s activities get more family fun activities, easy weeknight meals, family travel ideas, and household hacks by joining the Happy Mom Hacks community weekly newsletter.
Bonus, you’ll get a Free Printable Daily Schedule for Kids to keep your organized and stress-free when they’re out of school.
Don’t Forget to Pin This
More From Happy Mom Hacks
Quick & Easy Family Meals
- Easy No-Bake Energy Balls – A Perfect Quick Snack
- 25 Easy Family Dinner Ideas for Quick Weeknight Meals
- 10 Easy Rotisserie Chicken Recipes Your Family Will Love
- Sheet Pan Recipe Perfect for Weeknight Meals
- How to Make Delicious Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Healthy Italian Meatballs
- Quick Creamy Pesto Pasta Recipe with Sausage
- 25 Clever Kitchen Organization Ideas, Hacks & Storage
- How to Declutter Your Home Stress-Free
- How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine
- 45 Best Cleaning Supplies at Dollar Tree
- Free Printable Ultimate Cleaning Supply List
- Easy Panty Organization for Kids School Lunch & Snacks
- How to Be Organized During the School Year With Your Kids
- Fun Age Appropriate Chore Charts with Free Printables