Planning your kid’s birthday party can be overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be. All you need is a little organization and a birthday party checklist.
Preparing a successful party will be easy if you take it step by step. The included free birthday party checklist is a comprehensive checklist with all the small tasks you need to complete. It’s got everything you need to do for birthday parties from planning the guest list to the type of party you want, party supplies, party favors, and more.
Just follow the birthday checklist and your party will turn out amazing. Let’s get this party planned!
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
Ultimate Birthday Party Checklist Planning Tool
Below I will go through all the steps to plan your child’s next birthday party. You’ll get some great party planning tips you can use to make it a stress-free and fun day for all.
I have broken up the checklist below based on the timeframe you should be completing the tasks.
If you are already behind on this don’t panic just go through the list and you’ll get it all done.
When planning your kids birthday party the two big things you need to figure out are the number of guests on your list and the birthday party theme.
These will help you determine where and when you’ll have the birthday party and all the little details of the day.
Read through the list below and grab my Free Printable Birthday Party Checklist to use throughout the planning stages
6-8 Weeks Before the Party
Here are the first things you need to get done.
- Decide on the kind of party your child wants & the birthday party’s theme
- Create a Guest List (this will help determine the location)
- Pick a Party Location – Are you doing it at home or a paid event space
- If you’re using a venue see if they have a party area, the number of guests you can host, & what’s included in a party package.
- Book the Birthday Party Venue
- Set the Date and Time for the Party
- If you want a special invitation then order invitations early. If you’re doing an Evite you can do this at 4 weeks.
Birthday Party Theme Ideas:
- Awesome Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
- Thrilling Escape Room Birthday Party
- Fortnite Birthday Party Ideas
- Awesome Nerf Gun Birthday Party
- Fun Things to Do at a Sleepover Party
Birthday Party Ideas By Age Group
- Boys’ Birthday Party Ideas for Ages 7-12
- 11-Year-Old Birthday Party Ideas
- 13-Year-Old Birthday Party Ideas
4 Weeks Before the Party
- Mail or email the party invitations – Do not forget to add the party date, start & end time, address, RSVP by date, your contact information
- Plan party games & fun activities to go with the theme – Find a list of ideas below
- Plan Menu – What will you serve for party food – lunch, dinner, snacks?
- Order Cake – Find a birthday cake to fit the theme or with your child’s favorite flavors. Also decided if you want to have ice cream to go with the cake.
- Goody Bags or Party Favors – Come up with Goody bag ideas to go with the theme
- Party Decorations – Decorations are an important detail for the party start researching ones to go with your theme
- Lastly, Rent Equipment – If you want bouncy castles, photo booths or large game items now is the time to rent them
Save Money on Party Decorations & Party Favors with Dollar Tree – Check out my favorite Cheap birthday party supplies at Dollar Tree.
Birthday Party Activities & Games
- 30 Birthday Party Games Kids Love
- Fun Outdoor Games for Parties
- Thrilling Escape Room Birthday Party Games
- Hilarious Minute to Win It Games
- Fun Balloon Games for Parties Indoors & Outdoors
2 Weeks Before the Party
- Buy Party Decorations – Now’s the time to buy any decorations you still need
- Make DIY Decorations – If you plan to make your own decorations give yourself this extra time to get it done.
- Create a Party Timeline – Write down a party itinerary so you know if you need more games or activities and how the party day should flow. It will make the day of less hectic if you have a plan.
- Finalize the Menu and create a grocery list of things you need to buy.
- Create a Music Playlist – music always adds to the party atmosphere so create your playlist for the big day.
- Confirm Entertainment / Venue – It’s a good idea to just check in again with your venue to make sure everything is set
1 – 3 Days Before the Party
- Confirm with the venue the number of kids you have attending
- Clean/Set Up Your House – if it’s an at-home birthday party.
- Bake Cake/ Make Treats – If you are making the cake or desserts make it a day ahead so you’re ready
- Get Balloon Decorations – Pick up the balloons you want at the party
- Buy Party Food with your shopping list
- Finish making the Goody Bags
- Buy Thank you Cards & create a gift list to bring so you can write down which guest your child received gifts from.
Day of the Party
- Charge Phone / Camera – be ready to take pictures & videos
- Buy Ice for the Cooler – This is if you need to keep drinks cold
- Chill Drinks in a cooler/fridge
- Set up Decorations for the Party
- If using another venue pack car with party items you’ll need
- Set up Food and Party Tables
- Check on delivery time for pizzas or other food.
- Bring a list to write down gifts
- Greet Guests
- Enjoy the Party!!
End of the Day
- Give out Goody bags
- Clean up the Party
- Pack up your car with the gifts & party items
- Relax after a great party!
After the Party
- Share Photos with family and friends
- Write Thank You Notes
- Mail Thank You Notes
- Make a photo album of the party
Don’t forget to grab your Free Printable Birthday Party Checklist
Remember it doesn’t need to be a perfect party just one your kids have fun at with their friends. Focus on that and it will take a lot of the pressure off party planning.
Meaningful Ways to Celebrate Your Child’s Birthday
Before or after your throw a party for your child consider doing something with just the family to make it special.
We love to add in some meaningful birthday traditions that are just for the family. It could be as simple as decorating the birthday child’s bedroom door, getting to pick their birthday dinner, or having a special birthday countdown.
Find tons of ideas on unique ways to celebrate kids’ birthdays and add a little something extra this year.
Every year do a fun birthday interview with your child.
These free printable Birthday interviews will only take a few minutes to fill out. They’re a great way to help you remember what your kids were like at each stage of childhood.
Birthday Party By Age Group
Boys’ Birthday Party Ideas for Ages 7-12
11-Year-Old Birthday Party Ideas for Girls & Boy
13-Year-Old Birthday Party Ideas for Girls & Boys
Birthday Gift Ideas
Another super important aspect to kids is their birthday gift. But it can be hard to find the right gift for each kid. Check out our fun gift ideas and these gifts below to help inspire you to find the perfect gift.
45 Hottest Gift Ideas for Tween Girls
35 Cool Gift Ideas Boys Really Want
40 Hottest Fortnite Gift Ideas for Gamers
I hope this birthday party checklist will help you remember all the important details and make party planning easy this year. With a little planning, it’s sure to be an amazing party!!
If you enjoyed this article, become part of the Happy Mom Hacks Community where we strive to make a mom’s life easier.
Get our weekly newsletter with fun kids’ activities, family travel ideas, easy weeknight meals, household hacks, party ideas, and more.
Bonus, you’ll get our free printable Would You Rather Game to use as a hilarious birthday party game or fun family game night.