Are you constantly battling a messy microwave too? The splattered dried-on food, grease, and smell that just doesn’t want to come out. Don’t be disgusted every time you open your microwave use one of these easy Microwave cleaning hacks with Vinegar, Lemons, or Baking soda.
I’ll show you how to clean your microwave with all three of these easy cleaning methods. You won’t believe how simple it is to do and will wonder why you never knew these cleaning hacks before. The best part there are no chemicals just natural ingredients.
So let’s get started so you can enjoy a clean microwave the next time you cook.
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
How to Clean Your Microwave with Easy Cleaning Hacks
All of these Microwave cleaning hacks work great so I’d choose which to use based on which ingredients you have at home.
Tip: If you need to clean under the glass turntable in the microwave don’t forget to remove it before you start cleaning. It may also make it easier to wipe down the microwave without the turntable inside.
Cleaning Method with Vinegar
Vinegar will kill most mold, germs, and bacteria that can grow in your microwave. Yes gross I know! The vinegar will help get rid of the smell in your microwave and loosen baked-on food.
Do you Hate Cleaning the House? Make it easy with Genius DIY Cleaning Hacks for Lazy People. You won’t believe you didn’t know these before!
Steps to Clean with Vinegar
- Get out a microwave-safe bowl
- Add 1/2 cup White Distilled Vinegar & 1/2 Cup Water
- Microwave until it boils (make sure to watch)
- Let it sit in the microwave for 7 minutes and do not open the door
- The steam and vinegar will loosen anything stuck on your glass door and walls
- Wipe down the glass door, walls, plate, and base with a damp paper towel or cleaning cloth.
That’s it! Only takes about 10 minutes and you have a clean microwave.
Tip – You could also use a glass measuring cup instead of a bowl so it’s easy to measure your vinegar and water.
Make this method easier with the Angry Momma Microwave Cleaner. Add vinegar & water to this clever device that lets the steam come out of her head. Angry Momma is a quick way to clean while you do other things around the house.
Related Article – How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine & Get the Smell Out
Cleaning Method with Lemon
Did you know you could use a lemon to clean your microwave and give it a fresh smell? I like using lemon because people usually have them at home and it smells great when you’re done.
Steps to Clean with Lemon
- Slice up a lemon into wedges
- Squeeze the lemon wedges into a microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Then place the lemons inside the bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of water
- Microwave on high until it comes to a boil and starts to steam
- Stop the microwave and leave the door closed for 15 minutes. The water and lemon will steam the inside of the microwave loosening up baked-on food.
- After 15 minutes wipe down the inside of the microwave with a damp cleaning cloth or paper towel.
Related Article – Best Ways to Clean a Smelly Dishwasher in 4 Easy Steps
Glisten Microwave Cleaner
I like this ingenious microwave cleaner from Glisten. The box comes with 2 sponges with one side to scrub and one side to wipe clean. You should only need one sponge per cleaning and nothing else.
Here’s How to Use Glisten
- Remove one sponge from the package and place it in the center of the microwave
- Heat the sponge for the time listed on the box base on your microwave wattage. It will be around 25 seconds but make sure to check.
- The sponge will foam up and steam your microwave.
- Wait about 3-4 minutes or until the sponge is cool to the touch
- Use the rough side of the sponge to get off any tough baked-on foods
- Use the soft side to wipe out the microwave
- Finish by wiping down the microwave with a cleaning cloth or paper towel.
Learn more about the Glisten Microwave Cleaner
Cleaning Method with Baking Soda
Our last easy microwave cleaning hack is with baking soda. This method will create a mild abrasion to help scrub those really hard to clean baked-on foods. It is also the longest method as you will be letting it sit overnight.
Steps to Clean with Baking Soda
- Combine 3 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 cups of water in a microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Stir and dissolve the baking soda in the bowl
- Heat the bowl for 2 minutes
- Let the bowl sit overnight with the microwave door closed.
- In the morning remove the bowl and wipe down the microwave with a damp paper towel or cleaning cloth.
Related Article – 45 Best Cleaning Supplies at Dollar Tree You Need
Weekly Microwave Cleaning Tips
Quick cleaning tips to use on a daily or weekly basis to keep your microwave from getting bad.
- Cover all food you put in the microwave with a paper towel or microwave splatter cover. We like a clear cover so you can see the food inside while cooking and dishwasher safe.
- Wipe down the inside of the microwave quickly with a paper towel or cleaning towel right after a splatter. We like these Amazon Basics cleaning towels.
- Use the Angry Mama Microwave Cleaner – Use this cool device to steam your microwave and make it easier to get the caked-on food out of the microwave.
Need More Cleaning Hacks for Home?
For those of you who hate cleaning, you’ll love our DIY Cleaning Hacks for Lazy People. Their insanely easy cleaning tips for deep cleaning your house with the least amount of work. Your gonna want these tips!
What has helped me the most with cleaning my house is a simple cleaning schedule. The free printable is a realistic cleaning checklist that makes you feel less stressed about all the cleaning tasks and more focused. Plus you’ll really love checking things off the list when you’re done.
Download my free Cleaning Schedule for Busy Moms and stop feeling overwhelmed today.
- How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine & Get the Smell Out
- Best Ways to Clean a Smelly Dishwasher
- 45 Best Cleaning Supplies at Dollar Tree You Need
- How to Declutter Your Home Stress-Free
- 17 Genius Dollar Tree Organizational Hacks for Home
- 25 Clever Kitchen Organization Ideas
Did you find a microwave cleaning hack that will work at your home? I hope these tips showed you how to clean your microwave with ease.
You’ll find you’re a lot more willing to fit in time to clean when it’s easy. Plus you can feel good that all the cleaning methods use simple natural products like lemons, vinegar, and baking soda.
Let me know if this worked for you!
If you enjoyed this article and you want more household hacks, easy family meals, and fun family ideas, join the Happy Mom Hacks community with our weekly newsletter.
As a bonus, you’ll get our free printable Weekly Cleaning Routine a checklist to take the stress out of cleaning.
Don’t Forget to Pin This
More from Happy Mom Hacks
- 25 Clever Kitchen Organization Ideas, Hacks & Storage
- How to Declutter Your Home Stress-Free
- How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine
- 45 Best Cleaning Supplies at Dollar Tree
- Free Printable Ultimate Cleaning Supply List
- Easy Panty Organization for Kids School Lunch & Snacks
- How to Be Organized During the School Year With Your Kids
- Fun Age Appropriate Chore Charts with Free Printables