If you’re like me you might be a little intimidated about doing science experiments for kids at home. But it’s easier than you think. Your kids will love this simple volcano science experiment.
Follow along and learn how to make a volcano at home with baking soda and vinegar in this step by step guide. An easy Stem activity for kids when their home in summer or during school shutdowns. They will want to do it over and over again.
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
How to Make a Volcano at Home in 3 Easy Steps
Volcano Materials & Ingredients You’ll Need
- You will need something to mix up your volcano. I suggest something clear so the kids can see the full impact of the exploding volcano. We used a spaghetti sauce jar but you could also use a clear plastic cup, water bottle or anything else you have at home.
Tip: Pick something you can throw away afterward to make clean up easy.
- A foil tray or newspaper to put under your jar. This way when the volcano explodes you have easy clean up. You could also do this out in your yard and spray it down after with a hose.
- Water – Fill up your container 2/3 full
- 4-5 Tbs of Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Dish Soap
- 5-6 Drops of Food Dye – any color you like
- 8 oz (1 cup) Vinegar
Step by Step Guide to Making a Volcano
Fill up your container 2/3 full of water
Add to the water – 4-5 tbs Baking Soda, 1 tsp Dish Soap and last 4-5 drops of Food Dye then stir together.
Tips: Give the kids a minute to watch the food dye mix into the water before you stir it all together. It’s pretty cool to watch the food dye in the jar.
Get the kids ready to see the explosion in this last step. Add in the 8oz of Vinegar and step back.
Yes, it’s that easy to do! When it settles pour out the mixture and do it again with a second food dye color. Kids will love watching it over and over again.
Are you ready now to do this fun Stem activity for kids at your house? Learning how to make a volcano at home is so easy and a great way to mix fun and education for your kids.
More STEM Activities
Looking for more fun STEM experiments at home? Here are some of our reader’s favorites.
Dinosaurs Frozen in Ice. It’s a simple at-home experiment with balloons, water, and small dinosaur figures. Kids will love figuring out how to melt the ice to discover the dinosaurs.
Rain Clouds in a Jar – Teach kids how rain comes from clouds with shaving cream, food dye, and water. Super easy and really cool to watch.
Ice Balloons – Cool Colored Ice Gems kids can explore. Do a fun Salt and Water Melting experiment or add them to their snow castle outdoors.
DIY Cardboard Marble Run – Make a cool Marble run with an old box and paper towel rolls for a fun STEM project at home.
If you looking for more fun STEM experiences at home we love the monthly Tech kits from Creation Crate. Each month you get all the components to create a new electronic project with video & paper instructions.
Our kids look forward to Creation Crate’s arrival every month!
Need More Fun Activities for Kids at Home?
At Happy Mom Hacks we have tons of Kids Activities for both indoors and outdoors to fend off hearing kids say the dreaded I’m Bored. Here are a few Reader Favorite Activities:
- Fun Outdoor Activities for Kids with Water Toys – Cool Water Toys for Your Backyard for Toddler to 10-Year-olds.
- Minute to Win It Games for Kids – Kids can play these by themselves racing the clock or against family and friends.
- Fun Rainy Day Indoor Activities for Kids – Fun games to play when your stuck indoors for the day.
- 60 Fun & Free Things to Do with Kids Screen-Free – Entertaining activities for kids at home and in their local community.
- Easy Coffee Filter Butterflies Kids Craft – Simple at-home craft for kids.
- Fun Sidewalk Chalk Drawing Ideas & Shadow Art for Kids – The kids will love this fun outdoor art activity
Summer Camp at Home
Don’t stress about keeping the kids busy this summer! Plan a fun Summer Camp at Home. It’s easier than you think with our complete Summer Camp Planner. 30+ printable pages with 8 weeks of pre-planned themes, activities, schedules & more. Check it out and be ready for an unforgettable summer.
Did you enjoy this article? Become part of the Happy Mom Hacks community where we strive to make a mom’s life easier. In our weekly newsletter, we will send you new activities for kids, family travel ideas, easy weeknight meals, household hacks, and more.
Bonus, you’ll get our free printable Would You Rather Game to use as a hilarious birthday party game or fun family game night.
Don’t Forget to Pin This
More From Happy Mom Hacks
Easy Family Meals & Snacks
- Easy No-Bake Energy Balls – A Perfect Quick Snack
- 25 Easy Family Dinner Ideas for Quick Weeknight Meals
- 10 Easy Rotisserie Chicken Recipes Your Family Will Love
- Sheet Pan Recipe Perfect for Weeknight Meals
- How to Make Delicious Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Healthy Italian Meatballs
- Quick Creamy Pesto Pasta Recipe with Sausage
Easy Ways to Clean & Organize Your Home
- 25 Clever Kitchen Organization Ideas, Hacks & Storage
- How to Declutter Your Home Stress-Free
- How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine
- 45 Best Cleaning Supplies at Dollar Tree
- Free Printable Ultimate Cleaning Supply List
- Easy Panty Organization for Kids School Lunch & Snacks
- How to Be Organized During the School Year With Your Kids
- Fun Age Appropriate Chore Charts with Free Printables