Finding stay at home activities for kids in the summer and days off school can be really challenging. Especially if you are trying to work from home at the same time. To make it easier I’ve created a list of 36 things to do when your kids are bored. I made this list keeping in mind things kids can do on their own so you can work.
Get inspired with our free printable labels of indoor and outdoor activities for kids. Parents can cut them out and put them in an I’m Bored Jar. When the kids need something to do send them to the I’m Bored Jar to find an activity.
Things to Do When Your Kids Are Bored | I’m Bored Jar
How I’m Bored Jars Work
I’ve broken up the list by Indoor activities kids can do on their own while you work and outdoor activities when they need to burn some energy.
The printable also has a blank page so you can add specific activities for your child and labels for your I’m Bored Jar.
Keep the I’m Bored Jar out on your counter and when the kids need to keep busy tell them to pick something from the Jar. Make it into a game and something fun for the kids to do. They’ll love the surprise of what activity they will get to do next.
We started using this jar at home and it has really helped with keeping the kids busy on their own. They love pulling items out of the jar and seeing what their next activity will be. No more listening to the kids say those dreaded words – I’m Bored.
Here are your free printables 36 Things to Do When Your Kids Are Bored.
More Activities for Kids
Here are a few of Happy Mom Hack’s most popular activities for kids. You’ll find everything from Minute to Win It Games to outdoor activities and things to do in your local area.
- Minute to Win It Games for Kids – Kids can play these by themselves racing the clock or against family and friends.
- Fun Rainy Day Indoor Activities for Kids – Fun games to play when your stuck indoors for the day.
- 60 Fun & Free Things to Do with Kids Screen-Free – Entertaining activities for kids at home and in their local community.
- 31 Days of Boredom Busting Indoor Games for Kids – A Free Printable Calendar with a new activity to do every day.
- Free Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids – Nature Hunts, Neighborhood Hunts (find fun items in your own neighborhood) and Teen Scavenger Hunts.
- Fun Sidewalk Chalk Drawing Ideas & Shadow Art for Kids – The kids will love this fun outdoor art activity
- DIY Backyard Games for Kids from Dollar Tree – Easy to make outdoor games for kids with cheap items from Dollar Tree
Educational Activities for Kids
Need a few educational activities to do with the kids too? Check out our list of the Best School Apps and Educational Websites for kids.
I’ve been overwhelmed by all the educational resource lists I’ve seen so I created a list that’s easy for parents to use.
The websites are broken down by Math, Science, Reading, and General Education websites. Under each website, you’ll also find the best age group to use the site from Kindergarten to High School Students.
There is also a great list of cool virtual Museums and Zoos to visit too.
Are you ready now to print out some fun things to do when your kids are bored? I find if I have things ready it’s less stressful for me when the kids are home. The I’m Bored Jar is easy to make and a great way to entertain your kids at home.
Did you enjoy this article? Become part of the Happy Mom Hacks community where we strive to make a mom’s life easier. In our weekly newsletter, we will send you new activities for kids, family travel ideas, easy weeknight meals, household hacks and more.
Bonus you’ll get our free printable daily schedule for kids to make your day organized and stress-free.
Don’t Forget to Pin This
More From Happy Mom Hacks
Easy Cleaning & Organization Hacks
- 25 Clever Kitchen Organization Ideas, Hacks & Storage
- How to Declutter Your Home Stress-Free
- How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine
- 45 Best Cleaning Supplies at Dollar Tree
- Free Printable Ultimate Cleaning Supply List
- Easy Panty Organization for Kids School Lunch & Snacks
- How to Be Organized During the School Year With Your Kids
- Fun Age Appropriate Chore Charts with Free Printables
Yummy Family Dinners & Snacks for Kids
- Easy No-Bake Energy Balls – A Perfect Quick Snack
- 25 Easy Family Dinner Ideas for Quick Weeknight Meals
- 10 Easy Rotisserie Chicken Recipes Your Family Will Love
- Sheet Pan Recipe Perfect for Weeknight Meals
- How to Make Delicious Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Healthy Italian Meatballs
- Quick Creamy Pesto Pasta Recipe with Sausage